NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Passages


by Janis Patterson


I’m not a mother, but I can imagine what it’s like to send your child off to school the first day. Suddenly your world is never going to be the same – perhaps it will be better, or maybe worse, but it’s guaranteed it will be different. Your child is not altogether yours any more. Although nothing is quite so cosmic as something dealing with a child, there are other things equally wrenching.

A book, for example; in many ways books are like our children. We conceive them, carry them around (in our minds) for a while, then bring them into the world in a protracted and generally painful process. Then, when we have done all we can do, we must send them out into the world if they are to develop and prosper. First to editors, who all too often crush their spirit and try to remake them until our books fit their vision. It’s a painful process – and I must admit, all too often I’ve thought what a pity it is that it’s illegal to kill an editor. Many times it might even be considered a public service.

Mothers shouldn’t have favorite children – I don’t see how they could – but authors have favorite books, and I’ve just sent mine on the first step out into the world. This is a straight cozy mystery called A KILLING AT EL KAB. Yes, this is the book The Husband and I went to Egypt to research last year. It will be released in March, one year exactly from our time there. I’ve always loved archaeology and Egyptology, so that make this book special, but what makes it extra special to me is that I’ve pledged one quarter of the royalties will go to the El Kab dig house for restoration. (Yes, there really is a dig house at El Kab, and physically it’s exactly as I describe it in the book – the builder’s grave in the courtyard and all.) This house is a world treasure, and needs restoration.

Anyway, the book is finished to the best of my abilities and I sent it to my editor – the inimitable Laree Bryant – just a couple of days ago. It was not easy. I kept wondering if I should have done this or that… but I also know that too much tweaking can kill a book dead, making it dull and lifeless. I know Laree is a good editor, honest but gentle, and that my book will be safe and prosper in her hands, but still… It’s the first time I’ve let it go. Now it is free to go places and see people on its own, to reach into places I could only dream of, to take on a life of its own. My book will never again belong just to me again.

And even though it’s the right thing to do, my life will never be quite the same.


By the way, if you’re in the Bonham, Texas area on this coming Saturday, 6 February, thirteen wonderful romance authors and I will be featured at the Eighth Biennial “Romance in Bonham” panel discussion/reader event. It will be held from 11am to 1 pm at the Bonham Public Library, 305 E. 5th Street. Please come by if you can – it’s free, of course.

6 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

I'm not a mother either, except for being one to the various dogs my husband and I have adopted through the years. The latest one, Buster, a miniature pinscher, does make me feel very protective, since he's so small. Each dog has been different and I loved each one in a special way.

The same for the books I've written. I love each one, since each provided me with a different experience than the others. I also fret over the ones don't seem to do as well and try to help them along.

Morgan Mandel

Anne Marie Becker said...

I've always thought seeing my cover for the first time is like seeing my child's face. I finally had an image to put to all of the great imaginings. :)

Good luck with the upcoming release! How awesome to go to Egypt to research (and with the husband!). :)

Marcelle Dubé said...

Well, I'm a mother, and I love my children to bits, but it's okay to send them off into the wild world to fend for themselves. That's where the analogy breaks down, however, as I don't recommend starting a new child right away.

Good luck with your new baby!

Rita said...

Wonderful. Wishing you many sales and a successful event this weekend.

Maureen A. Miller said...

My self-pub books always seem to be the children that need to go to the orthodontist! LOL Every time I turn around there is another fee associated with them. (Cover artist, editor, marketing...) but I love them just as much. :)

Your 'child' will thrive, Janis!

authorlindathorne said...

Never thought of a book like one of your children. There are some similarities. I only have one book so far, so I can't have favorites, but among my short stories I have two that I love more than all the others together with one standing out the most. My favorite has not yet been published. The others have. May've been size, content, but my most favorite hasn't found a home yet.

More Popular Posts